Adopt a child? Start a new career? Grow your family? Eat Healthier?
What is the best way to fulfill your dreams? Set Goals! Setting goals is a process of imagining your future, and motivating yourself to turn your picture into reality. By knowing where you want to get to, you can then create steps needed to reach your goal. This is also a great way to concentrate your efforts on meeting your goals.
The hardest part of meeting a goal is getting started!
Whatever your goals are for 2019, there are specific steps to take to help reach your goals. The first step is writing down your goals! Research has shown that by writing your goal down, you are 42% more likely to achieve your goals*.
Your goals need to be SMART! Specific, Meaningful, Action Oriented, Rewarding, and Trackable.
To start goal setting, start with writing down your big goal. In this example, the goal is “Adopting a new born child” as your big goal.
Next, break down each goal into smaller goals, followed by a date you want to have each step completed. After a smaller goal has been accomplished, cross it out. This is a great way to help you stay on track and give you a sense of accomplishment.
Adopt A New Born Child
- Research your adoption choices
- Completed by February 1st, 2019
- Choose an adoption agency to work with
- Completed by February 14th, 2019
- Sign up with the agency
- Completed by February 18th, 2019
- Complete your Home Study
- April 30th, 2019
- Complete your Profile Book
- Draft completed by May 15th, 2019
- Read 3 books about adopting and raising an adopted child
- Completed by July 31st, 2019
- Once matched – Build a relationship with the Birth mother whenever possible!
- Get your home ready for a baby
- Completed by August 31st, 2019
- Be ready for birth of child by having pre-packed bags and baby supplies
- Completed by August 31, 2019
- Baby comes home
- Completed by June 2020
Today is a great day to start setting your goals!
Reference: * Dr. Gail Matthews study at Dominican University in California