Waiting Child Adoption
400,000+ children are in America’s foster care program today and roughly 100,000 of them are ready to be adopted!
Children’s Connections offers Texas families an alternative to foster-to-adopt through Waiting Child Adoptions
Waiting Child Adoption offers families an alternative to the foster-to-adopt system in Texas. Thousands of foster children are available for adoption throughout the United States. Being a part of the Waiting Child Adoption Program means you will not need to be a foster family to adopt these children.
There are thousands of children available for adoption through out-of-state foster care programs right now. If you are open to children over the age of five, sibling groups, or younger children with special needs, you will be able to find a child or children to adopt. One way CCI is different from other agencies is that we do not require you to foster before your adoption. We will help you before and after your adoption is finalized. Our adoption staff can provide monthly case management to ensure that all your family’s needs are being met. The visits do not intend to be a bother to your family, but as another area of ongoing support.
We Will Support You throughout Your Waiting Child Adoption Process
The first process is to complete your home study. Once your home study is complete, you will look at adoptable children through different state websites Next, you will let us know which children you would like to be considered for and either you, or your Waiting Child Coordinator, will be able to fax, email or mail your home study to caseworkers in other states. Most of the children available are over age five and/or have some special needs.
You and your Waiting Child Coordinator will make follow up contact with caseworkers about your application. Once a match is made between an adoptive family and a child(ren), our coordinator will be available to coordinate the placement details between the State of Texas and the state in which the foster child resides. You may be assigned an Adoption Specialist to ensure you have the support throughout the post placement process. You will be supported throughout the entire adoption.
Waiting Child Adoption is adoption through the United States Foster Care System outside of Texas
- Most children available are over age five and have some special needs.
- Remember, these children were possibly abused and neglected and may not have a real sense of being part of a family.
- It is important to understand that the adopted child may have needs for ongoing therapy, medication management, and extra support in their school.
- Children available for adoption are all ages up to 17. Generally, it is very difficult to identify children 4 and younger that do not have more serious special needs.
- Sometimes children will have siblings. In turn, it is a goal to keep the children together whenever possible.
- The more open and accepting you are, the more successful your matching will be.
Waiting Child Adoption Process
1. Home Study – You will start with completing your home study process through Children’s Connections.
2. Create Adoption Plan – You will work with Children’s Connections to create a waiting child adoption plan.
3. Start Identifying Children – You will work to identify children that match your adoption plan once you have an approved home study. We will provide you resources to find the right match.
4. Submit Home Study – You, or the Waiting Child Coordinator, will submit your home study to caseworkers throughout the U.S. for your matches.
5. Determine if Child is Right Fit – Many times, you will receive detailed information about the child, including the entire case file, prior to placement. This will help you determine if the child will be a good fit for your family.
6. Organize Visitation – The Waiting Child Coordinator will help organize your visitation and placement date once your match is made.
7. Travel to State of Child – You will need to be available to travel to the child’s home state prior to the adoptive placement.
8. Post Placement Supervision – Children’s Connections will provide post placement supervision, according to the requirements of the sending state.
9. Finalize the Adoption – You will be eligible to finalize the adoption once the child has been in your home for six months.
Preparing for Your Home Study
Starting on your adoption home study may seem overwhelming! It’s common to think that your home and your lives must be “picture perfect” in order to “pass” a home study. The purpose of the home study is to document your background and home life. Rather than seeking to “inspect” you and your home, your adoption social worker is there to help you think through the process of adding a child to your household. He or she will want to help you be successful throughout your home study and adoption!Preparing for Your Home Study
Where do I find a Waiting Child Ready to be Adopted?
Many times, the state in which the child resides will provide financial assistance to adoptive families. Most, but not all states, will cover the majority of the costs related to your adoption post home study. You will still be able to use the Federal Adoption Tax Credit. Your costs are the home study and home study updates prior to being matched with a child.
Frequently Asked Questions:I do not have a “traditional” family. Are there restrictions on who can adopt?
Many states are accepting of single parent adoptions as well as non-traditional families.Once a child is placed in my home, will I be on my own?
At Children’s Connections, we will support throughout the post placement process and help you with finalization. After that, we are always available to help you with answers and refer you to local agencies for further assistance.If I submit my home study for a child(ren) and then find out more about the child(ren) and decide it would not be a good fit for my family, can I back out?
Yes, you may back out at any time before the finalization of the adoption. We encourage you to make that assessment prior to any placement of the child(ren) into your home to minimize adoption disruption for the child(ren).
Please contact us to learn more information. We would love to discuss the program in more detail with you and your family.
Family Building Programs We Offer
Children’s Connections is a licensed child-placing agency in Texas. We work with birth parents, genetic embryo donors and adoptive parents. We conduct infant and older child adoptions, along with embryo transfers that best meet the needs of all individuals involved.
- Adoption Home Page
- Connecting Hearts Infant Adoption Program places newborn infants and occasionally older children in loving adoptive homes across the U.S.
- Crystal Angels Embryo Program places fertilized embryos with U.S. couples for the opportunity to achieve a successful pregnancy.
- Home Study and Post Placement Services for all types of agency and independent adoption in Texas: domestic, international, step-parent, relative/grandparent, and embryo adoption
- Adoption Grants, Loans, Fundraising, and Other Sources of Funding to help you make your adoption more affordable.